58 people have been arrested for DWI in Long Beach in 2017
MINEOLA, N.Y. – Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas and Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney announced an enhanced drunk driving enforcement program that will go into effect in Long Beach this holiday weekend, starting Saturday.
"More than 10,000 people senselessly lost their lives on America's roads last year because of the recklessness of drunk drivers and Nassau's tough stance on this crime is well known," DA Singas said. "I am proud to partner with the Long Beach Police Department to crack down on DWI with enhanced enforcement paid for with funds seized from criminals to ensure that those who drive drunk on our roads and endanger our families are caught, prosecuted, and held accountable."
Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said: “We are so appreciative of the continued support by DA Singas in assisting the Long Beach Police Department in its attempts to eradicate drunk driving.”
This weekend’s crackdown, funded fully by criminal asset forfeiture funds provided by the NCDA, will consist of highly trained, roving Long Beach Police Department patrols focusing on strategic times and locations as well as prevention.
The initiative, which will also be implemented for the Fourth of July and Labor Day holiday weekends, will be staffed entirely by officers specially trained in field sobriety tests, breath analysis and drug recognition.
In addition to pulling over drivers suspected of drunk or drugged driving, Long Beach Police will also be observing patrons leaving bars, marinas and other establishments for signs of possible impairment, and warning them of the consequences of drunk driving or boating.
This is the third consecutive year the NCDA has supported enhanced DWI enforcement programs in Long Beach. In 2016, three people were arrested for DWI during Memorial Day weekend. In 2015, seven people were arrested during the same time frame. To date, 58 people have been arrested for DWI in Long Beach in 2017.